Friday, April 1, 2011

A is for Afghans

You would not believe how much I struggled to find the perfect "A" topic for the A-to-Z-Challenge. I was all ready to use "crochet" for the C-topic day when, (in a blinding flash of "duh!"), I realized that the most freqent result of my crocheting is...Afghans!

I learned to make afghans almost by accident when I admired someone else's work, and she insisted in teaching me how to do it. Very shortly, I was able to crank out a new afghan about every other day. I was hooked!!

I graduated from afghans to 3-dimensional projects; such as hats, mittens, baby clothes, and even stuffed animals, but afghans remain my favorite projects. I'm constantly amazed at how many variations there can be with just a handful of basic stitches.

NOTE: I will be adding pictures to some of my projects, as soon I figure out how to add pictures to a blogger post!

6 comments:

  1. Fabulous! I love your post and you have a great writing style. I made a Sudoku throw using knitted squares and plan to do one in crochet See: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/woolmaniac/sudoku-throw

    I look forward to seeing your photos. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh!! I *love* Sudoku! What a fabulous idea for an afghan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same thing, had my other three blogs done and sat and stared at the screen for my crochet blog. Afghans - DUH.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can not wait to see your pictures! I am here from the A to Z challenge! I am also a fellow crocheter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love crocheting, but never done an afghan. I have a couple of blankets half done though.
    I learned how to crotchet almost the same way! My friend was making hats, and I liked them, so she taught me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite presents from my grandmother was a purple afghan! She worked on it while I was visiting one summer, and she let me keep my feet warm under it, with the chilly air conditioning during a Texas summer, but she told me it was for my grandfather. Then when it was my 6th birthday, I opened a big pink package, and there was the afghan!

    ReplyDelete